Meet Joshua Cheng

Joshua Cheng recently joined ISTC’s Technical Assistance Program (TAP) team as a Sustainability Technician. Based in our Champaign office, he helps businesses and organizations implement sustainable practices.

How old were you when you first became interested in science? What sparked your interest?
As a kid, I loved to read science books and had the dream of becoming of a scientist or an inventor (not knowing what they really entail). And as I grew up and learned more about the different fields of science, I saw how engineering applies science to solve problems in our society. No matter what industry or field I eventually end up in, I know that data-based and evidence-driven critical thinking will lead to productive solutions!

Who or what drew you to your field of study?
I started off my college career as a chemical engineering major but found that my passion lies in communicating between scientific solutions and business minds. There has always been a gap in understanding between the engineers and the accountants, I believe industrial engineers could be the missing piece to that puzzle.

What was your background before coming to work at ISTC?
I recently graduated from University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign as an industrial engineering major, and have worked as a consultant/project manager at a private equity firm. I also worked for the Residential Technology Services as an assistant coordinator throughout my undergraduate career, and interned with Express Scripts, a pharmaceutical company in St. Louis. I’m grateful to have experienced many different industries and I’m excited to contribute and learn as I work at ISTC!

What are you looking forward to the most in your new role at ISTC?
My new role at ISTC has been a refreshing experience, as everyone truly cares about the environment and has dedicate their career to sustainability. I look forward to spreading this message and help companies do the same!

Any random facts you could share with us?
I was born in New York City, grew up in Hong Kong, went to high school in Chicago, and now love the prairies of Urbana-Champaign!