Twenty-seven Illinois companies and organizations were honored on October 23 for their significant achievements in protecting the environment, helping sustain the future, and improving the economy. The winners were announced during a ceremony at the Union League Club in Chicago. Read winners summaries in the ceremony program booklet.
“Illinois’ success as an economic and cultural leader depends upon our responsible management of natural resources, as well as sustainable development,” said Kevin OBrien, director of the Illinois Sustainable Technology Center, which administers the awards program. Every year, a group of champions represents the highest models of sustainable commerce, resource use, and governance – the winners of the Illinois Sustainability Awards.
Since 1987, ISTC has presented Sustainability Awards to organizations in Illinois that have demonstrated a commitment to environmental excellence through outstanding and innovative sustainability practices. Any Illinois public or private organization is eligible to apply for the award. Winners are selected through a rigorous process of review and examination by ISTC technical assistance experts.
The 2018 award winners are listed below. Photos of winning teams can be requested from email@example.com.
More information on the Illinois Sustainability Awards program, lists of previous winners, and information on technical assistance services are available from the Illinois Sustainable Technology Center, a division of the Prairie Research Institute at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
2018 Illinois Sustainability Award Winners
- Champaign-Urbana Mass Transit District – Urbana
- College of Lake County – Grayslake
- dormakaba USA Inc. – Steeleville
- Downers Grove Sanitary District – Downers Grove
- DuPage County – Wheaton
- First Presbyterian Church of Danville – Danville
- Golden State Foods McCook – McCook
- Greenville University – Greenville
- Hilton Chicago – Chicago
- Illinois Department of Corrections – Springfield
- Illinois Farm Bureau – Bloomington
- INTERRA, Inc. – Bolingbrook
- Lakeshore Recycling Systems – Morton Grove
- Lewis and Clark Community College – Godfrey
- Madison County Planning & Development Department – Edwardsville
- Menasha Packaging 21G – Edwardsville
- Nicor Gas – Naperville
- Northwestern University – Evanston
- Riggs Beer Company – Urbana
- Sheridan Correctional Center – Sheridan
- Smart Energy Design Assistance Center – Champaign
- Solberg Manufacturing Inc. – Itasca
- South Metropolitan Higher Education Consortium – Chicago Heights
- Sterling Lumber Company, LLC – Phoenix
- Village of Hoffman Estates – Hoffman Estates
- Village of Mount Prospect – Mount Prospect
- Village of Mundelein – Mundelein